According to research conducted by Consumer Reports®, most deck problems can be attributed to 5 things.
- Never Cleaned/Pressure Washed. Whether sealed or unsealed, all decks should be at least cleaned regularly to keep mold from taking hold deep into the wood fibers.
- Never Stained/Sealed. An unsealed deck has nothing to protect it from UV damage and the wet/dry cycling (which causes swelling and shrinking) that will lead to cracking.
- Ignoring Splinters and Popped Nails. Don’t let these become a safety hazard.
- Ignoring Mold and Mildew. As already stated, mold and mildew are bad for wood and can make your deck very slippery. (See #1)
- Ignoring Structural Problems. Rotten boards are a symptom of an already neglected deck.
Real Estate experts tell us that a nice deck can really add value to a home. Likewise, a dirty, moldy deck can rob your home of value. Stop the weather’s assault on your property. Call Heritage Restoration to get started today.
Source: Consumer Reports® Magazine June 2010.